With tax season upon us, I thought it might be helpful to share one mighty little tip that I have found useful over the last year: “How to reach a live person at the IRS”
It may sound silly, but it’s very difficult to get the right set of options to actually get a hold of a real person.
So here is the the combination:
- Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM – 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
- When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: “Refund”, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
- After selecting your language, choose option 2 for “personal income tax”
- Press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Then press option 3 “for all other questions.”
- Then press 2 “for all other questions.”
- IMPORTANT: When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
- Finally press 2 for “personal or individual tax questions” it should then transfer you to an agent.