With tax season upon us, I thought it might be helpful to share one mighty little tip that I have found useful over the last year: “How to reach a live person at the IRS”
It may sound silly, but it’s very difficult to get the right set of options to actually get a hold of a real person.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Added 2-25-2019: I have done some investigating as several people said that it wasn’t working below and found that they revised their phone IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system. Below is the CORRECT method for getting through to a live person, however, I found out that they do not allow their queue to be larger than 50 callers. So there is a very good chance you won’t get through if you call on their busy days (Monday, Tuesday, and Friday). So I recommend you follow below on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
So here is the combination (Updated 2/25/2019):
- Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM – 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
- Press 1 for English.
After selecting your language, choose option 2 for “For answers about your personal income tax…”
- Press 1 “For questions about a form you have already submitted or …”
- Press 3 “For all other questions about your tax history or…”
- Press 2 “For all other questions about your tax history or payment…”
- IMPORTANT: When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do not enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
- Finally, press 2 for “personal or individual tax questions” it should then transfer you to an agent.